Post new topic   Reply to topic    Refugees Of Azeroth Forum Index -> Melee Class Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobf

re: Thoughts: DK Tank Threat

Taken from tankspot.com forums
Quote:
I dare to make the bold statement that it's shockwave.

Let me explain. You can't dodge or block when you get hit from behind. What I see often with Death Knights (and inexperienced protection paladins) is that they aoe tank in the middle of a pack.
A warrior tank wants to use shockwave for aoe threat and to make maximum use of shockwave the pack has to be in front of the warrior. Same goes for cleave. So the warrior does things right (keeping mobs in front of him) because of how mechanics work (not because he's a better player).
The point blank nature of paladin and death knight aoe threat do not make good behaviour because of mechanics rather they have to figure it out themselves.

One of the occasions where I noticed this was when healing an UP heroic run with a DK tank. I was totally caught off-guard by the amount of damage this guy was taking, we even wiped before first boss. And it kept bugging me, easy to heal on bosses but the trash was hard. Going over and over that run in my mind until I suddenly realised that the guy was in fact getting hit in the back a lot.

Well... isn't that cheery?

also worth reviewing:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/40485-death-knight-threat-values.html
TPS relative to abilities... might make attack/ability priority ranking easier
Two things I would like to point out...
Oblit does threat only from the dmg.
Death strike does threat from dmg, and then again from the heal.

Worth a look over.

Number Crunching... Base figures I've looked up and calculated to threorycraft....
Quote:

Base Stat Buffs and Values:
Since this is for tanking purposes, I'll just post things with assumed Frost Presence, and add Blood/Unholy Presences as possible alterations with talents and the like.
Strength
25% of Str => Parry Rating
1 Str = 2 AP
Agility
X Agi = Dodge %*
1 Agi = ~2 armor
62.5 Agi = 1% Crit
Stamina
1 Stam = 11 health
Defense Rating
4.98 Def Rating = 1 Defense
Defense Rating = Dodge %* = Parry %* = Miss %*
Parry/Dodge Rating
X Parry Rating = Parry %*
X Dodge Rating = Dodge %*
Expertise Rating
32.79 Expertise Rating = -1% Dodge/Parry
Spell Resistance
<pending research>
Hit Rating
32.79 Hit Rating = -1% Miss
Crit Rating
45.91 Crit Rating = 1% Crit
Haste Rating
32.79 Haste Rating = 1% Haste
Armor Pen Rating
15.40 Arm Pen Rating = 1% Armor Reduction
*Parry, Dodge, and Miss chance from these stats is now subject to diminishing returns. I'm still wrapping my head around the numbers, but I'll post when I've reduced it to an easy plug-and-go formula for DK's.

The last ratings that are marked in italics are threat buffing only, and for all intents and purposes may or may not show up at all on your tanking gear, but it's worth discussing for certain items that may crop up.

[/quote]
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Refugees Of Azeroth Forum Index -> Melee Class Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: