View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyverion
Officer

re: Windows 7/Vista Registry Latency Hack...Get better pings!

Should also work on XP as well. I went from 280ms in Dal to 90ms after applying this.

Galahalt

Trick - Latency solutions in Windows 7 (and Vista)
by Creutzfeldt on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:20 am

Hey everyone

I work with a very stable, very fast internet connection. I also work with PCs and Macs.

I realized that my latency in WoW was really different from computer to computer. I thought it might be a question of hardware... On my Macbook Pro, I'd get pings going from 70ms to 150ms. On my wife's computer, running Vista, I'd get around 150ms to 300ms. On my gaming computer, running XP, I'd be 110 to 300ms.

What helped me find my problem was when I upgraded my gaming rig to Windows 7, my pings went up to 250ms to 450ms. I'd get 200ms more on average than when the computer was running XP. I researched the web a little and came to understand that this is because of the way Vista and 7 treat TCP traffic. In an effort to reduce network traffic, the TCP protocol in those versions of Windows try to "bundle up" packets and send them in batch, effectively reducing the number of packets traveling your connection.

The way to solve this is to modify your TCP/IP protocol to disable the delay. The procedure is as follows:

1. From the "Search" box in the start menu, type "Regedit". (Accept the UAC warning if it does come up)
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
3. Browse the items under interfaces until you find one that has an IPAddress entry matching the network interface you want to affect (typically LAN IP addresses start with 192.168 or 10.0); note that if your IP address is automatically assigned by a DHCP server you may need to look for a matching DhcpIPAddress instead of IPAddress
4. Right-click on the interface and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it “TcpAckFrequency”
5. Right-click the new TcpAckFrequency value and select Modify, enter “1″ (Hexadecimal radio button should be selected)
6. Right-click on the interface and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it “TCPNoDelay” (note that TCP is all uppercase this time – that’s intentional)
7. Right-click the new TCPNoDelay value and select Modify, enter “1″ (Hexadecimal radio button should be selected)
8. Verify that both TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay now show up in the adapter’s property list with types REG_DWORD and values 0×00000001
9. Exit regedit and reboot (reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect!)
10. Play a game and enjoy your new low ping

I now have pings varying from 80ms to 170ms.
Creutzfeldt
80 Tauren Druid
<Fate>
Eldre'Thalas

Jump to: